VCOSS and DARU held a forum in July to hear the responses and feedback from taxi users to the draft report of the Victorian Taxi Industry Inquiry. A report from the forum has been released.
The structure of the forum specifically asked questions about three key issues the Inquiry had identified as important for the feedback process:
- consumers’ responses to the recommendation of a central booking service for wheelchair accessible taxis (WATs);
- recommendations that would change the variety of vehicle designs available to consumers; and,
- the impacts of the proposed fare restructure.
In addition to these issues, participants provided feedback on a further three general themes:
- the role, training and behaviour of taxi drivers;
- the impacts of accountability, regulation and representation on customer service; and,
- the role of taxis in rural and regional Victoria.
The report records the responses of participants on each of these issues.