Support Parliamentary Inquiry Into Retirement Villages – Tuesday 24th February 2016
There is a motion before the Victorian Legislative Council introduced by the Greens calling for an inquiry into the issues facing residents in retirement villages. It will be debated this Tuesday 24th February. If it is to be successful, a majority of legislative Council members will need to vote for it. COTA is part of the campaign group urging people to contact local Legislative Council members to show public support for the inquiry.
There are serious issues facing residents of retirement housing in Victoria. They include: the lack of dispute resolution options for residents and a lengthy, stressful and expensive VCAT process. We want your help to contact Liberal and National Party MPs because with their support, the motion will be passed.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
If you are a resident of a retirement village or wish to express your concern, send an email or call your local member of parliament to support the motion before the legislative Council on Tuesday 24th February.
- To find out where your local electorate click here
- Click here to search for your Local Member of Parliament
There are 3 things we want you to tell your MP when you contact them:
1) Make it clear where you live, so the MP knows that you live in their “electorate”.
2) Tell them your story (or someone else’s story you know) and why something needs to change.
3) Ask them to support the Retirement Housing motion on February 24 to establish an inquiry into retirement housing.
4) If you are interested in attending the parliamentary debate on the 24th February, we will put up the time of day that it will be held on our facebook and website (when the day’s Agenda is determined).
For more information on the motion click here
Background information on the Retirement Villages Campaign here