Courts, Media, and Public Opinion: who’s leading who?
The Sentencing Council will hold its major, annual community education event on Monday 16 May as part of Law Week 2016.
In Courts, Media, and Public Opinion: who’s leading who? a panel of experts will discuss the dynamics at play between Victoria’s courts, the media, and the community – and whether things could be improved.
· Professor Arie Freiberg AM – Chair of the Sentencing Advisory Council
· Honourable Justice Christopher Beale – Judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria
· Jon Faine – Radio presenter and journalist at 774 ABC Radio Melbourne
· Her Excellency Professor The Honourable Kate Warner AO – Governor of Tasmania, lead researcher of the Victorian Jury Sentencing Study.
Audience Question and Answer
There will be an opportunity for audience discussion. The event will be recorded and may later be published online.
About the Event
· Date: Monday 16 May 2016
· Time: 5:30pm (light refreshments) for a prompt 6pm start, finishing at 7:30pm.
· Venue: Monash Chambers, Ground Floor, 555 Lonsdale St, Melbourne (see map https://goo.gl/maps/us7AHvwRg472 )
The closest tram is one block away in Bourke Street – numbers 86 (see route and timetable https://ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/1881 ) and 96 (see route and timetable https://ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/1041 ). The venue is a two blocks East of Southern Cross Railway Station in Spencer Street.
There is off-street, commercial car parking next to the venue.
Access and special needs
· Please advise us http://bit.ly/22w3eJ5 if you have any special dietary requirements. Light refreshments will be served from 5:30pm to 6pm.
· The venue has wheel chair access, but please arrive a little early and ask one of the staff to operate the lift next to the staircase into the auditorium.
· Please advise us http://bit.ly/22w3eJ5 if you require an Auslan interpreter, or if have any other accessibility requirements.