Get involved with Green Sages:
Visit the Greens Sages events page for details of all upcoming events.
Who are COTA Green Sages?
COTA Green Sages are Older Victorians who are or would like to become involved in group actions to increase the environmental sustainability of our community and to decrease the impact of climate change.
COTA’s Green Sages Program reflects the broader COTA commitment to providing leadership on seniors’ issues and to encouraging seniors to take action for change in the community.
COTA believes that senior Victorians have an important role in:
- responding to environmental challenges including climate change and their impact both on themselves and future generations;
- supporting and taking action to reduce these impacts; and
- talking about these issues to their families, friends and in their communities.
Find out more:
For more information contact COTA on 9655 2139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Green Sages flyer here: Green Sages information flyer.
Take Action with COTA
The COTA Green Sages Program has a vision for a community in which seniors help lead change for a sustainable future and participate in initiatives which address the impacts of climate change.
The COTA Green Sages mission is to:
- facilitate opportunities for seniors to collaborate in taking action on environmental sustainability issues;
- develop education and training programs on environmental sustainability and climate change, enabling seniors to become better informed and take leadership on these issues;
- provide intergenerational opportunities for seniors to be both mentors and students with other generations on climate change and related issues;
- contribute to policy, research, and advocacy on the impact of environmental issues on seniors.
Current Activities (2015)
Monthly Green Sages Meeting: Upcoming meetings:
- February 17th, 12.00pm (BYO). Meeting commences at 12.30pm.
- Then First Tuesday of every month from March onwards, from 12.00pm at COTA Victoria, Block Arcade, 4th Floor, 98 Elizabeth St, Melbourne.
Action on Climate Change
- Green Sages will be talking on climate change @ Recycled Teenages Senior Club, Mill Park Commuity Centre, Tuesday from 1.30pm – 3.00pm June /July (date TBC)
Previous Green Sages activities:
2014 GOING NOWHERE SUSTAINABLE ARTS PROJECT:
Green Sages were involved in a sustainable and intergenerational arts event with Melbourne City Council’s Arts House. Tony Birch ran a series of writing workshops where Green Sages developed a creative and personal story or poem on climate change which was recorded by ABC. The recorded pieces were also used as part of an installation at North Melbourne Town Hall as part of their Going Nowhere Festival.
COTA Green Sages secured funding in 2011 from the City of Melbourne to conduct an innovative program called The Good Life Club@Carlton.
Recent climate Change research reading: