COTA Victoria is seeking more volunteers for an advisory service it has been piloting to assist older people and their families or carers to understand the aged and community care system and to find the right assistance for their situation.
People interested in providing the advice by telephone need to have an understanding of the aged care system from having worked in the field and/or through personal experience of supporting someone to access aged care supports.
Interested people will be:
- A good listener who has empathy with older people and who treats all people with dignity and respect
- Competent in navigating websites such as My Aged Care and Centrelink
- Willing to volunteer regularly as part of a roster to follow up enquiries received through the advisory service phone line
- Willing to undergo initial and ongoing regular training to keep up to date with changes in aged care services and policy
- Able to provide information and assistance with finding out about aged care services and recognising when more assistance specialised may be required
- Willing to undergo a Federal Police Check.
To find out more or to express your interest in volunteering as a mentor at COTA’s Melbourne office please contact COTA Victoria on Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 9655 2100.