Every Victorian household that accesses the State Government’s energy comparison site – where one can find the best electricity and gas deals – will receive a $50 bonus payment from the Government. This power saving bonus is available from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.
While COTA Victoria applauds this initiative, we would like to alert households of a few issues that we have experienced:
- You will need an internet connection and an email account to access the website and receive this bonus. COTA Victoria is in discussions with the relevant Department to try to find a solution for people who do not use computers or cannot afford to have internet. In the meantime, you may need to ask a friend or relative who has email access to assist you.
- The website has a function where you can upload a PDF file of your bill instead of entering the details manually. While convenient, this function is not very accurate. Unless this issue is fixed, it is best to enter your details manually.
- Caution: private comparison sites have got involved, also offering a $50 bonus. Please note that the Government website is: https://compare.energy.vic.gov.au/
Every Victorian household can submit a claim for the power saving bonus, if you:
- have a residential electricity bill and are the account holder for that bill; and
- are able to receive your bonus payment via mail at the address receiving power.
STEPS FOR RECEIVING YOUR $50 BONUS:
- Visit the Victorian Energy Compare website at: https://compare.energy.vic.gov.au/
- Follow the prompts and enter all requested information about your current electricity deal.
- You will then be directed to a Compare Offers screen.
- At the top right hand corner of this screen you will see a button to submit your power saving bonus.
- You will be asked some further information about your billing address and contact details.
- Once you submit those details you will be informed of your customer reference number. This number will also be emailed to the email address that you provided.
- The email will set out further information and instructions on how to proceed.