At times, people can find themselves struggling to buy food, pay the rent or mortgage and can be juggling numerous debts. If you’re in this situation, a financial counsellor can help you understand your options and create a plan to overcome your financial obstacles.
Financial counsellors provide a free, independent and confidential service. They provide information, support and advocacy to assist people in financial difficulty.
A financial Counsellor can:
- assist with access to the Victorian government Energy Compare website and obtain the $50 incentive and a print out of better energy deals for your household
- explain what you can do if you are having difficulty paying bills, fines or debts
- assist with applications for Utility Relief Grants
- advocate on your behalf with creditors including banks, debt collection agencies, utility providers (gas, electricity, and water), Telco’s and local government
- advise you about possible government assistance
- assist with insurance disputes and consumer issues
- explain early access to Superannuation entitlements and assist you to access entitlements
- suggest referrals to other services for further assistance.
If you would like to arrange a discussion with the COTA Financial Counsellor, please call 9655 2100. Appointments are available every Wednesday and take about one hour.