News feed

Do you know about Utility Relief Grants URG’s?

URG’s (Utility Relief Grants) are offered by the Victorian Government to assist you to pay overdue energy (electricity and gas) or water bills at times that you do not have the capacity to pay.

URG’s are available to the person who has the account with the energy or water provider, and who also has one of the following eligible concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card

If you don’t have one of these cards, but are registered with your utility company’s hardship program and are part of a low-income household, you may also be eligible.

The grant is available to renters and homeowners. You can apply for separate grants for each utility (electricity, gas and water).

The amount of each grant is based on the amount you owe at the time of application. It is capped at six months’ worth of utility use, up to a maximum of $650. A grant can only be given once every two years, per utility type, i.e. gas, water and electricity.

Non-Mains Energy or Non-Mains Water Concessions are also available for rural residents who do not have mains water or mains energy.

For more information, contact the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services concessions information line on 1800 658 521, or visit:

If you need assistance completing an application for a URG or Non Mains Concession, contact COTA Victoria on 9655 2100 to book an appointment with the COTA Victoria Financial Counsellor.

This news was categorised Programs and tagged with , , , , , , , .

Comments are closed.