Fair Go for Pensioners is a group of organisations working to:
- Increase pensions and concessions for low income older people.
- Guarantee access to health and aged care services for all older people and
- Improve public transport.
Our achievements to date have been substantial. In 2009 we gained significant increases to single age and disability pensions and the pension rate was raised from 25% to 27.2 % of average male earnings.
Fair Go for Pensioners continues to campaign for the Victorian Government to improve concession discounts in the face of escalating costs for utlities and transport.
If you would like to contribute to this campaign you can:
- become an active member in one of the organisations that are members of the Fair Go for Pensioners Coalition
- Encourage your community organisations to join Fair Go for Pensioners and/or support its claims
- Advocate our goals within your local community and your Members of Parliament.
Our Statement of Claims to Our Elected Representatives lists Victorian members and sets out what Fair Go for Pensioners Coalition is working to achieve at both the State and Federal levels.
The 2013 co-convenors of the Victorian Steering Committee are:
Roger Wilson: Maritime Union of Australia (Veterans) & Chair of the Steering Committee
Theodosius Nomicos: Ethnic Communities Council of Victoria from the Association of the Greek Elderly Citizen Clubs of Victoria
If you would like more information about Fair Go for Pensioners Coalition and how you can become involved in its campaigns, please contact Donna Swan, Policy Officer at COTA Victoria on firstname.lastname@example.org or 9655 2139
Previous work by the Fair Go for Pensioners Coalition:
Father Bob Maguire joins the Fair Go for Pensioners rally at Victorian Parliament.
Petition to Federal Parliament for a better deal for pensioners.
The Fair Go for Pensioners Coalition submitted a petition Federal Parliament seeking an increase in the pension rate along with other measures to address the financial hardship faced by pensioners.
The petition asked the House of Representatives to:
1. Increase the pension rate from 27.5% to 35% of total male average weekly earnings.
2. Ensure that proper and improved, culturally appropriate, healthcare measures for pensioners are prioritised, including medical, dental, optical, hearing and pharmaceutical services.
3. Significantly increase the level of funding for aged care services, including culturally appropriate services.
4. Introduce quarterly indexation of all pensions and welfare payments.