The devastating bushfires that have decimated large sections of Victoria and Australia’s environment have hit communities hard creating massive challenges to ensure safety and to help rebuild the futures of the families impacted.
The images and stories in the media have exposed not only the devastation but also the bravery and courageous efforts of our emergency services, individuals and all levels of Government working to protect the community in this emergency of an unprecedented level.
Communication is vital for community safety and it is important to follow all the instructions of the fire coordinators to stay safe.
To assist COTA Victoria members and the wider community, COTA Victoria has put together a list of relevant contact numbers where the community can access help and information.
We suggest you save the link on your mobile phone, tablet or computer so you have instant access to a range of information.
If you wish to assist you could donate to Victorian Bushfire Appeal to help the community. The Victorian Government has partnered with Bendigo Bank and the Salvation Army to establish the Victorian Bushfire Appeal with 100% of the donated funds going directly to communities in need.
Make sure you have copies of all your special documents if you need to evacuate in an emergency including:
- identification: wallet, credit / debit cards, driver’s licence
- medical: Medicare card, private health insurance card, doctor’s phone number, medicine scripts, chemist phone number
- insurance: insurance policy details and policy number
- family contacts: names, phone numbers, emails
- utilities: companies – power, water, gas – the bills include the account numbers
- local council: council phone number.
If you had to evacuate in an hurry and you didn’t get your ID etc. then contact COTA Victoria for help on 03 9655 2100.
Ron Smith, Corporate Media Communications: 0417 329 201