All gas heaters can spill carbon monoxide. It doesn’t make a sound, and you can’t see or smell it. But it can make you seriously sick or kill you.
To be sure your gas heater is safe, you should:
– have it serviced at least once every two years by a qualified gasfitter
– check for safety advice (some heaters need fresh air flow to operate safely)
– know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and act quickly if you notice them.
Landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants and must have gas heaters checked every two years.
Learn more at esv.vic.gov.au/carbon-monoxide